4.08.2011

this is why my BFF is AAA

I've had a slow leak in my tire for a few weeks. Dave has asked me more than once to stop on my way into work and have it fixed, which I have put off doing... until this morning, when I hit something on the road (nothing major, like a deer -- just a piece of cardboard, I think) and I could tell that the going-flat tire was in need of a little "roadside assistance."

So I stopped at the tire store, got it fixed and headed to the office. When I got there my boss, who is also my friend, said:

"So, what was wrong with your tire?"

"It was flat."

"Yeah, I know. So what was wrong with it?"

Someone's not listening today.

"Dude... it was flat."

[Cue the silence he reserves for stupid answers to his questions. I hear it more often than I'd like.]

I cross the hall and stand in his doorway, certain that proximity will make my answer plausible.

"Did you ask what was wrong with my tire?"

"Yes."

"I said it was flat."

"Yeah, I know. But why was it flat? Was it a nail?"

"I don't know. I didn't ask."

[Cue the silence again... but now I have to see the look that accompanies said silence, as I am standing in his doorway.]

All of a sudden I felt extremely... female. In fact, defensively so.

"What? All I know is it was flat when I got there, and now it's not flat anymore."

"It didn't occur to you to ask why it was flat?"

"Why do I care why it was flat? All I care about is that they fixed it. What more do I need to know?" Honestly, people... when you have AAA, why bother with these frivolous details?

Twenty minutes later, I e-mailed Dave and told him I finally got my tire fixed. His reply:

"That's great, hon. Was it a nail?"


Then it hit me: I was the leading lady in  A FOUR-STAR, FULL-FLEDGED MARS/VENUS SCENARIO. Today's gift from the Universe, I guess.

I'd prefer a platinum upgrade on my AAA membership... but this will do.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

This is so funny. I always want to know "why". I guess it's a personality thing...