1.10.2011

2010 YIR

I stumbled upon this year-in-review Q&A last month and, after some deliberating and some more procrastinating, I decided to fill it out... which seems like a really cliche and dorky thing to do at the beginning of a new year, but it actually was a good excercise. In the end, I was glad I'd done it.

Then I debated on whether or not to post it here... a lot of it is pretty mundane, but some of it is kinda personal stuff... but if I'm not sharing personal stuff, "kinda" or otherwise, here on my blog for all three of you (if that) to read, then what's the point? Right?

So, with that... here's my YIR for 2010:

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
I started going to Bikram Yoga ("hot" yoga)… which was intimidating at first and continues to be hard, but I truly enjoy the physical and mental challenge of doing it... and the way I feel after doing it!

2. Did you keep your 2010 New Year’s resolutions? Did you make any for 2011?
I don’t make New Year’s resolutions… too forced, too much pressure. Like everyone else, I plunge into a profound state of pondering and introspection every January 1. But instead of a hard-and-fast laundry list of Life To-Do’s, I come up with a few… possibilities. I mull them over, I kick them around… I leave them be and wander back to them… Sometimes they’re big and sometimes they’re small… and sometimes, somewhere along the way, the possibilities become decisions, and then they become actions. This all happens on my time frame and on my terms… which is why I don’t subscribe to the whole resolution-making exercise… and why, totally uncharacteristic of my personality, I keep the “possibilities” to myself.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not technically—but my BFF Suzanne, who lives in Vegas, gave birth to twins in December of ‘09, and it’s been a joy to watch her “diamonds” grow up this past year. In fact, I was lucky enough to attend their first birthday party last month… which, by the way, I’m going to be posting about very soon, because this party was OFF.THE.CHAIN!!! They are precious babies, little miracles… Elle and Liam, Auntie K-Fraud loves you tons!!!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No… no, no, no, thank God!

5. What countries did you visit?
Sadly, none. In fact, it totally sucks to admit it, but I think I only left the state three times last year… twice to Las Vegas and once to Washington DC. LOOO.ZERRRRRR!

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you didn’t have in 2010?
A 90-minute massage every month… that would be heaven on earth!

7. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
I am finally, FINALLY converted to eating clean, whole foods… processed foods and drinks have been officially kicked to the curb. This has been a huge lifestyle change for me… but so much for the better! I find myself liking foods I never liked before, and trying new foods (this month’s new food to cook at home: quinoa!)… I no longer crave junk food or soda (haven’t drunk anything other than natural soda in over a year!)… now I’m addicted to Greek yogurt with blueberries, honey crisp apples and cheese slices, steamed broccoli… these are things that I actually WANT to eat all the time, and I never feel like I’m missing out! This is a very significant milestone for me, one that has affected me for good in so many ways.

8. What was your biggest failure?
The company I work for did not have a good year in 2010, in terms of securing new projects to build… in fact, it was quite a disappointing year. I work for a large company so, obviously, this is not “all my fault”… but I work in marketing/ business development, so the responsibility of that initiative rests significantly on our department’s shoulders. We have a great team and we worked EXTREMELY HARD last year… and to get to the end of the year with far more losses than wins really, really stings and, no matter how you spin it, feels like failure. Hopefully we can turn that around in 2011!

9. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No… healthy and well all year, which I count as a HUGE blessing.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Fresh blueberries... I bought bushels and bushels of them, even when they were out of season and they cost an ungodly amount of money... and every one of them was scrumptious.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I’ll stick to celebrities for the next two questions, because to do otherwise would get too personal…

Celebrated behavior? Conan O’Brien and Sandra Bullock… both were handed a raw deal in their lives this past year, and yet handled their respective situations with graciousness and dignity (and, in Coco’s case, a little bit of humor). Both are great examples of the good that comes from taking the high road.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled?
Lindsay Lohan. She couldn’t find the high road if it was lit up like an O’Hare runway.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, Tyler’s mouth (braces came into our lives in October), Money Market… and Macy’s.

15. What did you get really excited about?
Without a doubt, Tyler’s second season of tackle football… it was SO MUCH FUN to watch him hone his skills and become a more active member of his team! I’m a huge advocate of team sports, particularly for boys, so that was definitely an exciting time of year for me.

16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Probably California Gurls by Katy Perry (ugh)… a number of songs from this season of Glee would be fitting, too.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) I don’t know if I can answer that… I would say I’m more anxious, so I don’t know if that makes me happier or sadder…????

b) THINNER!!!

c) Neither richer nor poorer… we continue to enjoy the same comfortable standard of living as last year, and for that I feel extremely blessed!

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spent more time with good friends and family.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Nitpicking and fussing at my kid.

21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Indeed I did… with Greek yogurt.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Mad Men (Don Draper, you handsome, tortured raconteur!)

23. What was the best book you read?
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Weepies… LOVE THEM!

25. What did you want and get?
Blonde highlights back in my hair. I spent the summer without them and I didn’t feel like myself, so I had my stylist put them back in… where they belonged!

26. What did you want and not get?
New golf clubs, but maybe I'll get them this year… for, uh, Valentine’s Day? Mother’s Day?? Abror Day???

27. What was your favorite film of 2010?
Toy Story 3. Tyler was a preschooler when the first two Toy Story films came out and, of course, he was completely enamored with Buzz, Woody and the gang. So for old time’s sake it was just the two of us at TS3… needless to say, the sentimentality of that outing extended to infinity and beyond.

28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 41 last month, and I spent my birthday eating grilled chicken (cooked by my hubby) on the couch in my bathrobe. Granted, it’s a far cry from cupcakes, cocktails and dueling pianos from my birthday bash the year before… it was low-key, relaxing and EXACTLY what I wanted.

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I would have liked to travel more. I think if there’s one “resolution” I feel comfortable sharing, it’s that I want to trade “things” for “experiences” this year—particularly experiences with my family.

30. Describe your personal fashion concept for 2010.
Stylish but understated and age-appropriate is my goal. More specifically... black and grey… a little more bling… cute shoes and cute toenails… better effort with makeup… and, as always, a little zebra here and there for fun.

31. What kept you sane?
My husband. Prayer. A good night’s sleep. Yoga. Doing something nice for someone else. My husband. Singing my favorite songs in the car. Awesome coworkers. Greek yogurt. MY HUSBAND.

32. What political issue stirred you the most?
Without a doubt, the Tea Party... and beyond that, I plead The Fifth.

33. Share a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Through a few interesting experiences, I learned that I only want to be involved in situations and relationships that bring me happiness and positivity... anything to the contrary is counterproductive, and I decided that there is just no place for that in my life anymore. Last year I finally gave myself permission to let go of those situations/relationships for good, and it’s brought me more peace than I could have imagined. NEVER AGAIN will I let myself be weighed down with someone or something that fosters negativity and discontent… I have better things to do with my time and energy.

34. Who did you miss?
My dear friends Alison and Kristi Thompson… my mom… my best girl Suzanne… all of whom I adore and think about all the time, but whom I rarely get to see. I’d like nothing more than to change that this year.

More than anyone else, I miss Tyler… when he was three. I miss the chubby toddler who thought the sun rose and set with me… who wanted me by his side every minute of every day… who needed me as much as I needed him. That once-chubby toddler turned 14 this month… and, as you would imagine, the situation has changed a bit.

It’s difficult to go from the center of your child’s universe to the periphery, where I landed very squarely and solidly in 2010… and as he gets older, I know that he will continue to nudge me to the outskirts of his life. I am learning to make peace with this transition, which I know is inevitable… but at times, it is as painful as it is unavoidable. I hope I can continue to move through the pain gracefully, with more love for who he’s becoming and less longing for who he used to be.

35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Due solely to my previous answer, Fleetwood Mac says it all for me… and I mean it all:

Can I sail through the changing ocean tides…
Can I handle the seasons of my life… Oh… I don’t know…
Now I’ve been afraid of changin', cuz I’ve built my life around you…
But time makes you bolder…
Children get older…
And I’m getting older, too…

1 comment:

SUZANNE said...

SOOOO good Vernell!! Read every word. And loved it. And just loved my double shout outs - thank you!! Lovin' your guts and Happy 2011!