11.09.2010

what happens when there's a smattering of down time at the office...

"Someone at the ribbon-cutting used an unusual word in their speech today."

"Oh yeah? What was it?"

"Bevy."

"Really? Yeah, that isn't a word you hear very often."

"I know... I think I'm going to try and work that into a sentence today."

"My word of choice in that particular area is grundle."

"Oh, yeah... that's a good one, too."

"Do you think a bevy is technically more than a grundle?"

"Hm... I'm not sure..."

"I think a grundle is more than a bevy... no evidence to support that, just a gut feeling..."

"I'll buy that... but here's the real question: Is a grundle more than a plethora?"

"Ooooh... good question... I think in order of quantity, highest to lowest, it goes plethora, then grundle, then bevy."

"Yeah, that sounds right..."

"But here's another question: Do you know what's less than a bevy?"

"Tell me..."

Triumphant grin, and then: "A smattering."

Smiling and nodding. "Whooaaa... great word. And definitely less than a bevy. Nice work."

Moral of the story: It's a grundle of fun to work with a bevy of word nerds like me.

No comments: