7.02.2009

Pageant Mom

On Tuesday I went to Subway, my usual haunt, for lunch. I go there at least twice a week, so the staff and I have a pretty good rapport... we're always chit-chatting as I make my way through the line. That day was no different, until one of the Subway ladies leaned in a little and said to me:

"You know, you remind me of someone."

"I do? Who?" I have no idea where this is going.

She leaned over a little more, smiling, and said: "You look like a pageant mom."

*GASP!*

"I'm sorry, what did you say?"

Which was stupid of me to say because, of course, she repeated it a little louder so that I -- and the 15 people behind me in line -- could hear her loud and clear. "Really? Uh... well, ok." I snatched up my sandwich and made a beeline for the door.

Oh no no no no, she did NOT just say that to me!!

So, now that the giggling (chortling/snickering/guffawing) has subsided, I'm sure all you enquiring minds want to know: What the hell was I wearing??? Here I am that day in my ensemble:

Pink, kinda-shiny blouse, black lacy (pretty lace, not slutty lace) skirt, chunky charm necklace, black wedges... So? Too sassy for a turkey sandwich on a Tuesday? Was she really putting me in the same category as these ladies??

If I had worn a feathery tutu, the comment would have made more sense...

My pink shirt looks NOTHING like this pageant mom's pink shirt... all I know is that this piece of work probably would have gotten her sandwich for free.

No blog post about pageant moms would be complete without honoring the PM of all PM's, Patsy Ramsey. (I know, can you believe it? The years weren't kind to her.)

I'm pretty sure Subway Lady meant it as a compliment (I know, YIKES)... but the damage is done. No more shimmery shirts and shiny baubles for me. I'm losing the lacy skirt and the wedges are going by the wayside, and tomorrow I'm ordering new clothes from the Amish Woman Unlimited catalogue.







3 comments:

Christy said...

Okay, that is hilarious. This is what I'm talking about... so glad you have a blog now to share these moments!

Carter said...

That's hilarious! By the way,
you totally DON'T look like a pageant mom.

Can't wait to see your new amish wardrobe!

Deanna said...

That girl didn't know what she was talking about. She must have been confused. I don't see the connection between your outfit and those outlandish ones!